Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Start Over, or Change to Part 61

Loosing my CFII was tough, but it seemed the rabbit hole continued. I was already failing to get on the schedule, and it was two weeks since I flew last. I finally managed to set up an appointment with Robert, one of two remaining part-time instructors.

We calmly sat down, and he said "OK, lets have a look at your file". He peared into the computer screen. "SO, you've just had the one flight?" WHA? No, I've had four and I've got 8 hours logged...showing him my log book. "Strange, he didn't make progress reports in the computer." Well let's look at the folder. He goes to the file cabinet, and opens up my file. Opens the vanilla folder and only the waiver is in there. "Well, this isn't good!" Ah man...

My instructor failed to do his paperwork on me before he left. Apparently it's one of the things he hated to do, and I wasn't the only one who got screwed here.

When we talk about what I've done, and compare it to Part 141 lesson requirements, we find it's all OUT OF ORDER. He hasn't followed curriculum.

"Well, at this point, you can either A)Start over with 141, or B)Change to part 61 and take it from there". Well heck, 8 hours ran me over 1400$, starting over is NO cheap "do-over." I hang my head and say...fine let's do Part 61.

We schedule a flight for the next week... "We'll review where you are and go from there." I can't say I'm looking forward to it.

No comments: